Ras Laffan Industrial City
Ras Laffan Industrial City (RLC) is located 80 kms north east of Doha, covering 106 square kilometers. The city hosts an industrial port and several industrial facilities. It provides integrated services to businesses including modern infrastructure, security, fire and safety section, medical center, an environment section and support services area.
A management team appointed by Qatar Petroleum runs RLC. This team works closely in co-ordination with operating companies and governmental bodies and is responsible for developing the land use plan of RLC and providing the services. The team is also responsible for regular monitoring and regulation of the land and marine environment.
During the past year Qatar has continued its climb towards becoming the world leader in the production and export of LNG and at the same time continued along the way to becoming the world leader in the production of Gas to Liquids products (GTL). A world scale gas processing plant is under construction, and others are in planning and/or design.
Ras Laffan Port is considered one of the largest LNG export facilities in the world. The 8.5 sq km port cost more than US$1 billion and became fully operational in 1996 with LNG export capacity of 30 million metric tons per annum.
- 2006 will see the world’s first major commercial GTL plant when ORYX comes on line in the year
- A conceptual plan for the port expansion which will double the size of ther port and permit triple the tons of export has been finalized
- A contract for dredging and reclamation of the expanded port will be tendered soon
- A Master Plan for the next twenty years is nearing completion with the finalization of the future land use plan
- A third pipe rack on the Lee Breakwater is under construction
- Berths 1A/1B and 3A/3B remain are under construction
- LNG berth 3 is under construction
- New LNG Plants started construction
- Potable water and desalinated water lines are under construction with the first milestones to be achieved soon
- IPP2 a new Power and Desalinated Water Plant is under construction
- The Dolphin gas plant is under construction
- Finalization and implementation of the Master Plan
- Implementation of the Single Operator study
- AKG Phase 1 will complete construction
- Laffan Refinery Project will be under construction
- Continuation of the development of LNG trains by Qatargas and RasGas
FLOW OF VESSELS
|TYPE ||Year ||Total|
|GENERAL CARGO |
|SUPPLY VESSELS |
RLC is a home to major companies such as RasGas and Qatargas, and is assigned to host additional future industries including Qatar’s gas-to-liquids projects.
For more information about Ras Laffan Industrial City: www.raslaffan.com
North Gas Field
Discovered in 1971, the North Gas Field lies off the north-east shore of the Qatar peninsula and covers an area of more than 6,000 sq km, equivalent to about half the land area of the State of Qatar.
The North Gas Field is considered to be the largest single non-associated gas reservoir in the world with total proven reserves of more than 900 trillion cubic feet (TSCF). The development of this major natural resource is a significant factor in Qatar’s economic development. The gas produced from this giant field is processed to produce LNG, GTL, NGL, and other gas related industries, in addition to pipeline gas for export.